It’s that back-to-school, back-to-work time when we buy new notebooks and pencils and want a fresh start. For me, that means getting back to the business of eating right – not only for cancer prevention and weight loss, but because it’s just the right thing for us humans to do. It was hard to deprive myself, when everything tasted like wet cement, to not eat Frosted Flakes and Good and Plenty when they were the only things that tasted good. The good news is that my taste buds seem to have returned to 95% normal over the last month. So, after allowing myself the August/birthday month to eat lobster rolls and black raspberry ice cream, it’s time for me to step up to making better dietary choices. I think, by now, we all know what we should and shouldn’t eat. But I hit the books to remind myself of those things that I really need to grow-up and STOP eating. If we all did that, perhaps the industrial food complex would stop making the stuff that’s killing us. So, if you want a quick reminder, here ya go (in no particular order.) I’ll call it “The Dirty Dozen”
- Processed Meat. That’s hot dogs, bacon, sausage, salami. Unless you actually ARE an Oscar Meyer Weiner, your diet should stop being a lot of bologna.
- Red Meat – I love a great NY Strip and I’ll probably treat myself a few times a year. If you must, go organic, and sorry, but grilling meat is like cooking cancer.
- Non-organic chicken and non-organic milk. When it comes to milk, eggs and chicken, hormones and antibiotics are just bad news. Even if it takes a tough man to make a tender chicken, chicken skin is not yellow. Ya gotta go organic.
- GMOs – We’ve heard these letters so many times, they sound kinda fun. Like “Old McDonald had a farm, G.M., G.M.O.!!” – Just keep saying to yourself, “Genetically modified organisms” “Genetically modified organisms”. Picture bacteria, viruses, mad scientists. Soylent Green is people, people.
- White food – It’s no Wonder, that’s for sure. White bread and white rice are bleached. Next time you’re in the laundry room, take a good whiff of Clorox and think, “Mmmm, should I drink this?”
- Farm Raised Fish – For some reason, I thought it was good thing that fish were being farmed instead of depopulating fish in their natural habitats. Wrong. Gotta go wild here. And forget swordfish and albacore tuna, unless you like Mercury – and not the Freddy kind.
- Soda – Regular or diet. It’s chemicals in a can. And stay away from anything citrus flavored (Mountain Dew, Fanta, Fresca) which contains BVO’s – a chemical flame retardant. Damn! I loved a Fresca!
- Fried Food – I know you really want to stop reading this now. Don’t take away my clam roll, french fries, KFC. And donuts have the pleasure of being fat, sugar AND fried. Dunk that in your Dunkin.
- High Fructose Corn Syrup. HFCS are actually CCCC’s – chemicals, contaminants, chloralkai, crap. If you’re eating products with HFCS, you’re probably eating like a child. Good and Plenty and I must say goodbye. Sad. Sad. Sad.
- Kid’s Cereal – It’s sugar in a bowl – floating in bovine growth hormone. I admit I liked my Frosted Flakes in a Jethro Bodine-size bowl. If you really have to eat it, have one serving. That’s about two tablespoons.
- Microwaved Popcorn – Who knew this was popping poison? Google it yourself. I guess the movie stuff is probably not that great either. And I did like a little movie with my popcorn.
- Shelf-stable Condiments – What? Those cute little packets of ketchup, mustard, relish and mayo are bad for us??? They are basically preservatives, additives, artificial flavors, colors, salt and transfats wrapped in plastic with no expiration date. You’ll expire before they will.
There’s an amazing website and mobile app called EWG Food Scores. Check it out. You won’t believe what’s in Kraft Mac and Cheese. (Sorry, kids – I didn’t know!!)
The world is full of amazingly, healthy, wonderful foods. But that’s another blog…